Make sure your water is safe!
Use household bleach to purify your drinking and cooking water. After severe flooding, all water should be suspect because of sewage treatment facilities over flowing.
Bleach effectively kills bacteria and viruses, stops smells and then breaks down. It’s effective germ killing alkaline property is completely neutralized very quickly. It does not stay chemically active in tanks for more than a few days. Most germs require sunlight to grow. Store water in the dark.
1 Gallon water is disinfected by 8-16 drops of regular household bleach (visually about 1/4 of a teaspoon) – double that for cloudy water. Shake and let stand 30 minutes. One teaspoon will disinfect 5 gallons. Immediately after treating, water must initially have a slight smell of chlorine. If it does not – repeat the process.
You can make a small oil lamp from a tuna can,and some string for a wick.
COOKING OIL works great for this. Make sure you take all precautions to avoid a fire!
For an emergency toilet, put a trash bag in a five gallon bucket and tough it out. Make sure to tightly tie it closed after a few uses and store out of the way until it can be disposed of properly.
Good luck to you folks in the disaster area.